Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Back to My German Roots

I don't know how it happened and I have no idea how to stop it, but for about the last year, I have been receiving periodic newsletters from a German company.

About a year ago I received an email that was all in German that was confirming an order in my name. I was a bit concerned when I got it since I hadn't made any online purchases recently and I confess I have never actually turned to the German market to satisfy my needs. I cut and pasted the type into freetranslation.com and saw that three bras had been purchased. They were not cheap before the exchange rate and I could only imagine the damage to my account that could be ensuing. As I checked my with my bank I thought, 'Those had better be some freaking nice bras' but no money had been taken out so I then concluded this email was sent in error and promptly forgot about it (a clearly traumatizing experience). Then a couple weeks later I got the first newsletter. I figured it was just another sent-in-error thing and disregarded it. A year later, the emails haven't stopped and honestly, I can't say I mind.

I thought about it a little and remembered that my name is very Germanic. First and last, I would fit right into any German mailing list like Sally Hansen fits on an American one. So I am pretty sure that I am receiving some German Erika's email.

The content changes from time to time, it was make up for a long time, lately it has been clothing. I would love to tell you more, but I only look at the pictures seeing as I don't speak a lick of German save pleasantries after someone sneezes or opens a door for you.

Anyway, I have started to look forward to receiving these emails for reasons I am not sure of myself. I see the German subject line and skim over the email and then trash it, but they make me smile every time. I found one waiting for me this morning and I just had to share it.

Be sure to check out about halfway down where the girl in a black coat lets us know it's 'cool to be warm!'. Nothing like an English tag line to spice up a German advertisement.


2 comments:

  1. That's really funny. Those Germans are just so excited to be warm! And they were so gracious to decide to include you in their happy little Frostige Zeiten Newsletter.

    ReplyDelete