Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Explain This Darwin.

This is a rant.

Because I am annoyed.

A lot.

So I work for a temp agency right? I love it, it's great. They get me jobs and I work them and get paid. Another sweet deal popped up this week, 5 days full time, 12 bucks an hour. Awesome. 

I get there Monday. They kinda show me what do to, it's data entry, nothing I haven't seen before. Bust through what I didn't realize was just about half of the entire job. In 7 hours. 

Today, I get there and FINISH the job without even realizing it. That's it. No more work.

And this is where I annoyed. What I was most looking forward to about this job was the plushy pay check at the end. Thanks to 5 years of office jobs I am desensitized to monotony and can work 8 hours of boredom with little consequence to my psyche or productivity (not really something you brag about, but a fact of my life nonetheless). And because of this I got screwed out of over half a pay check!

If I had been lazy, or bad at 10 key and typing, or slow on the uptake I would have been there all week doing the same boring job, less efficiently, for 5 full days. But instead I am competent and qualified (not like it's hard to be, but still) and finished in two days. With a pat on the back and a 'I'll tell the agency you're a find!'. Great. Thanks. I'd rather you just give me more work. 

Frankly the lady who estimated five days for the two stacks of papers she needed inventoried has no idea what she was talking about. Shout to my Alumni Center girls, if we had all been going on that, we would have been done in like 3 hours. Tops. 

Anyway, how often does that happen?? Reward the people who have no sense of urgency or productivity by allowing them to sloth their way through the day and then when people are hard working and can get a job done get a good feeling inside. 

I don't want a good feeling inside. I want a bonus. 

I don't even have the patience to work slow. Dumb people with dumb ideas and who don't know how to work can mozy on through and get praised and rewarded more than people who, in my opinion, deserve it. It's like saying 'You're really bad at this? Great, here is an extra two hundred dollars, no worries that a project that should have only taken two days took five.'

NOT OK.

Survival of the fittest my foot.



3 comments: