Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Sale

While I was up at BYU-Idaho, a good friend of mine introduced me to thrifting and crafting. At first I was a little skeptical, other people's germ crusted stuff can be turned into something absolutely adorable?
Psh. Show me. 


Oh. 

I was sufficiently intrigued. After a couple fantastic thrifting adventures and crafting afternoons I was sold. I love finding great deals on things I can fix up and throw my own personal flair to. 

So, over this past long weekend I decided it had been long enough and I should go thrifting again. On Memorial Day, I went to Savers for the first time since a looking for a high school Halloween dance costume. As I pull up the parking lot it packed. People walking in and out like crazy. I sarcastically think to myself 'Man, must be a sale hahahaha why would a second hand store ever need a sale?' Low and behold I see the big, red
  sign in the window. I suddenly feel horrible for my completely rude thought process. Then I quickly jump from guilt to great surprise and realize 'Sale! Perfect! Cheap stuff even cheaper!' and I head in for my grand adventure. And an adventure it was. This time, like no other time, I realized what other kind treasures can be found at a second hand store. 

I went first to the book section (no surprise to those who know and love me) and I found some real winners. Things that made me wonder why someone would ever give these up...let alone buy them in the first place. 

Purple crocodile skin Bibles, self-help memoirs, old romance novels and college textbooks. I must say my favorite was this almost New York Times Best Seller. 
 
Only makes sense right? Economics and marriage...they practically go hand in hand...

Next I made my way through shelves and shelves of glassware from Marilyn Monroe shot glasses to plastic party martini glasses to figurines. 
Homemade wood wall decorations that said profound things like 'L8RG8R' and cute family quotes that clearly don't mean so much anymore as they laid discarded on the aluminum shelf. These along side racks and racks of linens, old sheets and pillow cases, curtains and my personal favorite

   
Because why wouldn't you want to get your toilet seat cover second hand?

As I combed the walls of the store completely overcome with the scent of commercial laundry detergent and an odd combination of strawberry air freshener I could only smile to myself as I appreciated the small and awful treasures that even the best crafters couldn't disguise to be something useful and I tried to imagine them in the houses they were originally intended for.

So then overall, was my adventure a success, you may ask? Three old fat books, a lace curtain and three little glass bowls say yes, very much so.


No comments:

Post a Comment